Devendra Barnhart is one of my favorite artists; I love the folky silkiness of his music, the magic and poetry of his lyrics, how he sings in Spanish here and there, his hobo look. It all blends into one charismatic person with an interesting life. Some of the Wikipedia facts I like about his bio:
- He’s half Venezuelan and grew up in Caracas, just like me!
- His name is synonym for Indra, the Hindu god of rain and thunder.
- His middle name is Obi, for Obi-Wan Kenobi!
- He skipped classes to go busking and his first performance was at a gay wedding.
- He dropped out of the San Francisco Art Institute to travel and perform music in Europe.
- He credits Simon Diaz, a Venezuelan singer and composer, as one of the main influences in his music.
Searching around for a video of Devendra Barnhart’s Lazy Butterfly, I stumbled upon the one below. It’s called Les Papillons and it features some nice crafty art by Camille Shumann. Hope you enjoy this week’s tune!